From Poetry to Prose

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The title sounds better ..

With the movie adaptation releasing soon (to be exact, November 17, 2007), I decided that while I am on this so-called Jane Austen "high," why not read something concerning my current obsession?

I bought the book yesterday at the local Borders (and boo for forgetting to print out my 30% coupon!) in hopes to finally have something else besides my big book of "Light and Easy New York Times Crosswords" to do before sleeping. I went from starting a chapter at midnight to finishing the entire book [by booklight] by a little after 2am.

Was I satisfied? Well, I must have been, especially if it kept me up all night, right?

Nope.

Maybe 'cause I'm a bit of an Austen elitist, but I'm a bit irked by the fact how they make it seem as if the entire book revolves around Jane Austen's books and more importantly, her characters. I mean sure, there were some slight similarities, but I don't feel like the actual book deserved to have "Jane Austen" in the title. Maybe more like "Lonely Women Looking for Love while coincidentally reading works by a particular author."

Austen's characters were known as strong woman who represented the everyday woman for all of time. Fowler's characters either seemed to be too cliched or unrelatable for the average woman.

I should have just opted out and bought "Stardust" instead. Or maybe I should have bought myself a new copy of "Sense and Sensibility."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home